Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Plan

I've been in a bit of a cooking funk lately, but it hasn't always been this way. When I was younger, I cooked all the time. I watched the Food Network, suscribed to Cooking Light and Southern Living, and was always poring through my mom's cookbook collection, looking for something delicious to make. If you would have asked me then whether I could cook a dish, my reply would have been 'of course, I just have to find a recipe'. I embraced any cooking challenge. I was a chef in the making.

Fast forward a few years. Fast food and takeout have become the norm. Convenience products and processed junk have taken over my kitchen. I'm in no mood to cook, and if it takes more than ten minutes, fuggetaboutit. Never mind that the taste is mediocre. I'll just drown it in ketchup or barbecue sauce. Never mind that the fat, salt, and sugar content is astronomical. When I start eating healthy (sometime in the future)it'll all balance out. Never mind that its the same meal I had yesterday, or the day before, or the day before that. I'll have something different tomorrow, I swear. Never mind that I haven't had a vegetable in six days. Never mind the weight gain, the illness, the aches and pains. Never mind all of that.

I'm on a mission people. A seemingly impossible one. I want to do a diet overhaul in almost every possible category. I want to have a diet with more variety that's healthier, less processed, cheaper, faster to prepare, and more photogenic. Some of these seem to naturally work together (ie, healthier and less processed), while some of them seem to go against each other (ie, less processed and faster). However, my goal is not to achieve perfection in any one category, and I'm aware that sometimes sacrifices will have to be made in the quality of one area over another. At the end of the day, as long as it tastes good, I'll be happy.

1 comment: